Deadline looms for elections filing
By Jason Miller
Several east county and vicinity elected positions are up for grabs during the coming General Election on Nov. 8:
- Concrete: four council positions
- Concrete School District board: three positions
- Sedro-Woolley: mayor and three council positions
- Sedro-Woolley School District board: two positions
- Lyman: mayor and four council positions, one of which is vacant
- Hamilton: mayor and four council positions
- Darrington School District board: three positions
A complete list of positions of offices open for election is posted online at http://wei.secstate.wa.gov/skagit/Pages/OfficesOpenforElection.aspx.
One-week window to file
Candidates who wish to run for any elected office need to file with Skagit County Elections Department during the week of June 6–10, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The last day to withdraw after filing is June 16. If no one files for a position, Skagit County Elections will hold a special three-day filing period.
Candidates filing for office in Skagit County will be able to file for office online and use a credit card to pay the filing fee. Online filing will be available 24 hours a day starting at 9 a.m. June 6 and ending at 4 p.m. June 10. Candidates who file online will receive the following benefits:
- an immediate e-mail when another candidate files for the same position.
- an e-mail if a candidate withdraws from the same race.
- Candidates will have the choice to submit their voters’ pamphlet statements and photos online.
Candidates for office in Skagit County also can file in person in the Elections Department in the Office of the County Auditor, downtown Mount Vernon.
Candidates who will be out of the area during the filing period can file by mail beginning May 20 and ending June 10 at 4:30 p.m.
When they are available, candidate submission guidelines will be posted online at http://wei.secstate.wa.gov/skagit/candidatefiling/Pages/2010CandidateSubmissionGuidelines.aspx.
For more information on the election process, contact the Elections Department of the Skagit County Auditor’s Office at email@example.com or 360.336.9305.